Saturday 26 May 2012

Fitness Journal #5 - Stalled!

There is a term in weight-lifting known as 'stalling', which refers to when you are unable to progress on a particular weight on a progressive weight programme.

For example, in my routine I try to increase the weight I lift by 2.5 KG every session, with 5 sets of 5 reps each time. Then let's say in one session I am unable to complete all 5 sets (e.g. 3 or 4 reps only one on one of the sets) then I have 'stalled'.

I started my routine about 2 weeks ago, following the Stronglifts 5x5 program (go Google). I started light, with 20kg for bench, squats and 15 for barbell rows, and 30 for deadlifts(only started this one week in, because I was scared of doing it wrong).

I've recently began to add additional workouts because 3 exercises just didn't feel tiring enough and I didn't feel my body was getting a workout. And I wasn't observing and size gains, etc.

My current weights for the exercises are:

  • Squats (40kg) (Still can increase, I think my 1 RM (max) is about 50-60?)

  • Barbell Rows (22.5kg) (Still can increase)

  • Deadlifts (35kg) (Still can increase waaay more)

  • Overhead Press (20kg) (Stalled for one session, next session was easy)

  • Bench Press (37.5kg)  (Still can increase)

  • Yes I know they're all very low I'm a small and scrawny guy okayyy


Today I tried 40kg for Bench for the first time... and in my third rep of my second set, I suddenly couldn't lift it ! I let my arm relax slightly and I suddenly felt the entire weight pressing on my chest and felt a wave of panic surge through me. It's like being pinned down and you cannot move!

I quickly recovered and did a Roll of Shame to get out of it. Whew! Uninjured.
For a quick video of what a roll of shame is:

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOCKsP7G6AE]

It was odd as I completed the rest of the sets : 5 3 5 5 4 (completed 5 reps of 3rd and 4th set), so I'm not sure why I couldn't finish the 2nd set. I think I was doing it too slowly and trying to feel the strain as I used to always do.

I'm going to try 40KG again next week, hopefully I'll be able to do it without stalling again. Any one wants to gym with me to be my spotter? I go to Toa Payoh / Hougang ClubFitt gym on Tues, Thurs, Sat, 12PM!

1 comment:

  1. [...] getting heavier, so I do feel a bit more tired after each workout. My current weights are posted here (all + about 2.5/5kg since that was a few workouts [...]

    ReplyDelete