Wednesday 18 April 2012

I'm a Guinea Pig!

Being in a university with a strong emphasis on research means that there are always ongoing studies that require participants. These studies often have fairly decent payouts, and since I was staying in hall this semester I decided to sign up for as many as I could. It turned out to be a pretty decent part-time job.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="288" caption="I'm a guinea pig yo!"][/caption]



Here's the list of experiments I have attended this semester. I'm pretty sure I left out like 1 or 2 because I forgot to update my list after the experiment.

  • Cognitive eye-tracking experiment- $25 for 2.5 hours

  • Emotions experiment - $10 for 1 hour

  • Interview with China Students - $10 for 1 hour

  • Biz experiment (decision-making task) - $8.50 for 30 mins

  • Biz experiment (decision -making task) - $5.00 for 30 minutes (could have earned $10 but I was unlucky)

  • Experiment @ Duke-NUS, evaluate abstract paintings - $12 for 1 hour (evaluate abstract paintings)

  • Online Survey - $5 for 15 mins

  • Cog experiment (lexicon decision task) - $5 for 30 mins

  • Watch videos of advertisements interspersed in videos - $10 for 1 hour

  • Cognitive experiment (Attention) - $10 for 1 hour


Total earnings : $100.50 for 9 hours 15 mins (~$11 per hour!)

Not bad eh! And do note that all of the '1 hour' experiments are never a full hour, but usually about 45 minutes or so. So it's actually probably about 8 hours total spent. And this list also does not include the ongoing B2ESS experiments which have CRAZY payouts. (previous times I got $50~ for 2.5 hours, szehong got $100~. Luck-based, depends on dice roll)

I'll certainly be signing up for more experiments the next time I'm in NUS again (which is next year Sem 2, as I'm going for exchange), good pocket money ;)

 

And a quick update, exams are starting next week on the 24th for me, and end on 30th April. So if there are few blogs in between, sorry for that! Will blog more after exams for sure!

 

6 comments:

  1. Wow that's so cool. How do you actually sign up for these experiments? I just got my offer from FASS so hehe i could very well be a freshman at NUS in a few mths time ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of them are by email, some provide a direct link to some signup page.
    Congrats! What do you plan to major in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha thanks senior! I'll be planning to major in... PSYCHOLOGY (; I actually borrowed from friends their textbook frm Sem1 and i must say it's really intriguing! Definitely will be interested to bid for the intro mod for psych ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol ok many people decide to switch major after taking the intro mod so let's hope that doesn't happen to you ;) It's super heavy.

    Are you going to come for Arts Camp?

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA yea the hardware (read: textbook) itself already weighs a crapton! I guess this means I will have to be conscientious from day 1! Thanks for the warning anyway ^^ Hmm i haven't decided... mostly because i don't know anybody who's going yet! okay and maybe because i'm a little socially inapt. If there's a psych camp i may be going though! My friend went last year and it sounded fun >:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha arts camp is waay more fun than psych camp (i've been for both). But yea may be tough if you're socially inept. What's your friend's name? Maybe I know ^^

    ReplyDelete