Friday 20 April 2012

Are you a social student?

Different people have different studying preferences. Some like to study at home, some like to study in a public place. Some like to study with music, some like to study in silence. Some like to study overnight, some like to study in the morning.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="241" caption="Hopefully not like this"][/caption]



For me, personally, I like to study at home, in silence, and in the day. I cannot fathom how people can study with noise/music or endure post-midnight fatigue to study and still manage to absorb all the information.

However, studying can be big social activity. Friends study together. Couples study together. They take breaks together and chitchat, have meals together perhaps. It has been shown that sharing hardships strengthens social bonds. And studying together seems to be a form of 'sharing hardships'.

Hey, I should know of the value of studying together. I could attribute how I got together with my gf to be a result of us studying together! Apart from frequent texts and online messaging, a big part of how we got closer together was because we met often to study together. Looking back, I've no idea how I managed to do that (as I don't study as efficiently outside compared to at home) in my first semester and still obtain my highest CAP ever since in that semester ><

The point is, I wish I was more of a 'social student'- i.e. one that studies in a public place, with noise, with friends. One that absorbs best when he spends prolonged hours mugging with friends at Starbucks, in the library, or wherever.

This would allow me to spend more time with friends (and the gf), forge more social bonds, instead of remaining cooped up in my house like some kind of hermit.

Are you a social student?

2 comments:

  1. I'm very much a hermit when it comes to studying. It doesn't matter where i study as long as it is in isolation at a quiet distraction-free location. But strangely enough, i do okay when i study in group... as long as the peace is maintained. So i'll usually grab a study buddy that's just like me:D

    P.S. Sorry if i'm taking your question far too earnestly. But yes I'm a sociable hermit (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha no problem! Always glad to get comments regardless of what they are :) Yea I'm like you, I think I can do alright in a group as well, as long as the location is quiet and allows me to encode stuff :)

    ReplyDelete