Thursday 26 July 2012

[S] Fitness Journal #9.5 - Voluntary Spotter

A very short entry about something that happened in the gym today:

I was doing my sets at the bench when this big (not muscular, just bigger than me), timid-looking guy asked to share the bench with me. After his first set of 5, he began to stop at 3 reps for his next 2 sets, clearly struggling with his 2nd and 3rd rep.

I wanted to offer to help him spot his 4th set, but I was scared/shy so I didn't... then I saw him struggle to only 3 reps again on his 4th set. Then I couldn't take it already.

"Hey, do you want me to spot for you?"

-shyly smiles and shakes head- "It's okay..."

"I think you can do 5 reps. You're stopping at 3 reps because you're afraid you can't lift the weight again right?"

-he nods timidly, and mumbles something about his brother usually accompanying him-

'I spot for you, you go for 5 reps. okay?'

- he nods again-

So I proceed to get into position behind him, and spotted him for that set - with some help and me going 'COME ON. PUSH! ONE MORE! PUSH! LAST ONE! PUSH! PUSH!' etc, he managed to push his way through 5 reps, and I could see the look of accomplishment flush on his face as he appreciatively mumbled 'thanks' and offered to spot for my next set which I declined cos I wasn't doing my max.

Deep inside, my heart glowed too at having helped someone else accomplish something he didn't think could be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment