Monday 11 October 2010

Disconnect to Connect

I had something I wanted to blog about for awhile but never got about to it, then i saw this video which basically sums up everything very nicely in a short and powerful clip. Watch it first before reading on.



Indeed, in this day and age, we say we are 'technologically advanced'. Are we, really?

Communication via technology is a paradox in itself. It is supposed to bring us closer, to connect us more easily and conveniently. Instead, it has created isolated drones who, when together, are not really together.

The video captures this perfectly - the camera panning around a person using a mobile device and showing that the people around him are 'invisible' to him. After all, he is SMSing his friends, sending a tweet, checking out someone's facebook photos - physical presence does not equal to physical interaction. In fact, a person could be interacting with someone NOT with him much more than the people he is with.

I do get annoyed sometimes if say, I'm out with a friend alone, and he/she just keeps using his phone. It's really annoying! Like, hello I'm here. Stop updating your facebook status or messaging whoever.

Most of us know that it is socially incorrect to be absorbed in our mobile devices when with other people. It just seems rude. However, it seems that that has become our security blanket, so to speak.
Awkward silence? Pretend to be reading something interesting on phone. Nothing to say? Glance at phone as if the phone is going to respond 'ask about her dog!' or provide you with some random conversation topic.


Technology it seems, has us on a leash.
How many of us can actually spend a day without technology?
Let's not even go to that yet - how many of us can spend a day without your HANDPHONE. I can think of quite alot of people who will just die if they don't touch their handphone, especially those with iPhones. (i don't really blame them, iPhone/ipod Touch is just too awesome)

In fact, I've been wanting to try this for awhile. I'm going to issue a Zero Tech Day (ZTD) challenge. This is a challenge to go tech-less for 24 hours. Can you do it?
And to make things interesting, try to schedule at least one appointment that day.
I will loosely define 'tech' as anything that is electronic/electrical. So this will exclude things like cars/buses, lights, fans, but include things like handphones, computers, television.
If you're in doubt whether it is considered tech or not, assume it is!

If you actually do it, write about your experience and send it to me! or post it on your blog or something and link me. I would like to read about it :)

diabteo@hotmail.com

I think I'll try it soon. Maybe on Thursday.. hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment