Monday 20 December 2010

Semester 1 results and weird dreams

My night was filled with weird dreams. More accurately, my morning. I wasn't as frantic or anxious as many people last night. and I certainly slept pretty well.. or rather, FELL asleep pretty easily.

I don't know, it just seems pointless to worry so much for something that is DONE already. It's not like my exam is today, it's the RELEASE of results. Something that is done and I have no control over.

I woke up at about 6+ I think, I didn't check the time. Went to the toilet as usual, and went back to bed. From there, the weird dreams started.

(read on if you dont mind seeing my results. dont worry theyre not that great so you wont feel like slapping me for being showoff or what.)


This was my first sem ever in NUS, so it was also my first time receiving results. Thus, I had no idea what it was like. I subscribed for the SMS service which was supposed to SMS us our results or something like that.

If you cant be bothered to read my retarded dream and just want to see my results/analysis of it, scroll down to the red text

Dream 1:
I received a big mail package which supposedly contained my results. I opened it and it was a big bunch of documents containing clearance forms which indicated I was allowed to have my results (i.e. paid school fees, etc) There were even instruction manuals on how to read the results that would follow.

Included in the package was Secondary 4 model Science notes -_- Yes they were the notes of the top students, all nicely bound together. And on the front cover it listed the top students.

There was a special introductory paragraph in the cover page as well, and there it said 'We would like to commend 3 students for their outstanding performance.'
AND I SAW MY NAME THERE. 'ALAN TEO'.

But I read on, it said 'and Alan Teo, despite being already 30 years old, still managed to get a CAP of 5!'

-_- so clearly not me unless in that dream i retained for so many years.

Anyway it was damn confusing because there were so many papers inside and i was sifting through and had no idea how to find it. Then I remembered I had to check my phone for the SMS and so I did, and the SMS said to call some number and to say some code.

So I tried to call that number but .. I think my phone display was a bit screwed up so I couldn't see my code clearly. Then super pek chek!! No idea how to get results. And it was already 11+ AM already. (results supposed to come by 9AM)

OK I WILL STOP TALKING ABOUT MY STUPID DREAMS ON TO THE RESULTS.
(on a side note, the results came in a succinct SMS, with just my matric number, and BOOM results. No merry christmas no nothing. haha )

Summary:
PL1101E - A+
PL2131 - B+
NM1101E - A-
PH1102E - A-
LAF1201 B+

Ok let's go through this mod by mod. I'll just say whether it met my expectations, and why. Won't be long.

PL1101E - Yes duh. I expected an A+, and got an A+. I worked my skin and teeth off for this so it was, I guess, deserved. Entered finals with an A+ midterms already, so it would have taken a major screwup at finals to deny me my A (or A+)

PL2131 - Probably the biggest disappointment in all my results. Finals was easy for me, and I guess easy for alot of people as well. I definitely had an A for midterms, but I guess one of the assignments screwed me over. I got 3/10 for that. :/ 15% worth somemore.
I really don't think Finals was the problem, even if everyone did well, I was confident of doing better, I tripled checked everything and also compared answers with some people. Pretty sure it was the assignment that pulled me down :(

NM1101E - Kinda disappointed with this as well, expected an A. Entered the finals with good project marks and an above average midterm score. However, finals was a killer, and I guess it killed me.

PH1102E - Biggest surprise among all... I expected a B+ at best! My assignment scores were about 75% so that puts me at about the B+ish range, so it was all down to the finals. Guess my smokescreen that I threw was enough for the finals. I even left 15 mins before time because I ran out of smoke to smoke for my essays lol. Glad to get an A for this, albeit a negative.

LAF1201- (french) - Expected a B+, got a B+. Nothing much to say, got about 75+% marks for all the tests, but French is a competitive module, so I guess it wasn't enough.

Overall - CAP = 4.4
I guess it seems decent, but my goal was actually above 4.5. I mean, it is only the first sem which is supposed to be the easiest? And it was a fairly relaxed sem for me, in terms of my modules. Not very intensive modules, and I only got this.
Thus, disappointed? Yes. Grateful? Yes. I guess I could be worse. Thank God for blessing me with these results and sustaining me through this sem. Now, I need help for next sem. Got to try to pull this above 4.5 if I still want my first class ><

5 comments:

  1. wilbuu got 4.5 =) ur results are really awesome! don be too caught up with ur grades k? God is still sovereign and first in everyth =)=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wa he so smart. you leh? heh.

    Thanks alot! I don't think they're really awesome but still! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J'ai appris des choses interessantes grace a vous, et vous m'avez aide a resoudre un probleme, merci.

    - Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey alan..i am a year one freshmen and i was looking for possible help for doing well in ph1102..can i get help from you for the assignments? i have been doing badly for them for the past 3 assignments man..really need some help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gavin, try using Google to find summaries/simplifications of the readings if you don't understand them. This helped alot in picking out the main ideas of the article.
    As for the summary assignment itself, maybe try to have a look at the 4/4 ones and see how they're doing it? And possibly consult ur tutor for tips. After all, he is the one marking so u need to write according to HIS criteria

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete