Monday 1 November 2010

the mid term review

so... today I just got back my final 'mid-term' result, which is my Psych exposure mod essay. And so it's time to do a 'mid-term' review though it's already way past midterm! Exams in less than 3 weeks!! omg
I'll do another 'final review' after i get back my results on the 21st Dec (omg 4 days before christmas how to enjoy if lousy results. haha i just signed up for some SMS service just now that will SMS me my results on that day morning)

I wont discuss the grading criteria for all the modules till the 'final review', just some thoughts about each mod so far.

DISCLAIMER: I am going to put my results up so if you're the kind that thinks omg he's a showoff such a disgusting person you can stop reading this entry ktnxbai. then again you could just read on and take note of my results then laugh at me after my finals when i do badly and suan me for boasting now go ahead yea do that you dirty little #$!%^#@

PH1102E
Introduction to Philosophy

This is easily one of my favourite modules.. probably tied with French/Psych.My top 3 are all pretty close!

I love to think and debate about the philosophical issues, and my only gripe with this mod is that it focuses more on summary skills than on actual philosophical reasoning. But the articles we read every week are really interesting and I love doing the readings. (except for some weeks which are damn chim)
No mid term tests for this module so nothing to say about that..

LAF1201
French 1

Before I entered uni, never in a million years would I have guessed I would be taking this module. It all happened within 1-2 days when bestie suddenly suggested this cos of yvonne, and so we bidded for it and in the end yvonne didn't get it.

So here i am, almost done with this module and left with 2 tests. I did relatively well (i think, have no idea because bell curve was not released) for the first few tests, with a 75%ish score for all of them.

And, I love the module! It's really fun to learn a new language, just that of course it is not easy. It requires constant work, and supportive friends to learn with you so that you can practise together. Very enjoyable mod tho, my lecturer (YANNICK!) is awesome :D


PL1101E
Introduction to Psychology

I intend to major in Psych, so of course I'm taking this. I love what I study, this is probably the first time I'd say studying is FUN (as compared to learning pi r square and logarithms and 3.141592654zomgwaddanonsense)

Most of the chapters are fun and interesting to read (bio psych bleahz) and my only gripe is that it's SO much info. 50-60 pages to read every week (there was one week it was 100, one week it was about 150) I guess introductory modules are like that, they have to expose you to everything.

and yea, got back my midterm essay results today, i got an A+!! Wow so happy and pleasantly surprised with that, was expecting B+. At most, A? But A+!! wow. I really don't think my essay was that great though I guess the risk i took in writing a 'special' conclusion paid off and got me the 'plus' :D

And my midterm MCQ test I got 92.5/100... which is pretty damn high lol. (The mean was 61) I didn't really expect this though I didn't really have any quantifiable expectations.. I just hoped to do well in general.
My friends keep saying i got the highest but nooo i found out someone else got 94/100 grr. Technically we got the same number of questions correct, because it was negative marking and that person left 6 questions blank while i guessed all my 'not-sure' questions.

So that's 50% settled, must do well for my finals! this module is probably the only module i'm relatively confident of getting an A (and hope to get A+!)


PL2131
Research and Statistical Methods

A compulsory module to take for Psych majors, so had to take it. Screwed up my first assignment (3/10) so I was.. no wait, am still pretty worried about this.
Made up for it with a decent mid term MCQ score of 88/100, but the mean was 75 or something. So it isn't THAT good as compared to PL1101.
Have to have to have to do well for finals.

This is very critical as i need at least a B- if not I cant major in Psych :o I would just die la.

I kinda like the module though I wish the lecturer could be a bit clearer (he is from HongKong with a strong accent) He is very very prompt with email/forum replies though, and that's something I appreciate.
It's a concept-based module, so not that much memorization (final exam is open book) Like it, but a bit scary. Really have to totally understand your stuff to score well, and i hope to achieve that.


and finally
NM1101E
Communications and New Media

This module is really hard to define to other people. What do I study? Just about everything? Well, of course the theme is 'New Media', which refers to, well, new media. E.g. online newspapers, Internet, blogs, etcetc.

We've covered topics ranging from the Digital Divide, Good/Flawed Design models, Violence in Video Games, History of the WWW, etc. As you can see, it's really hard to explain exactly what i'm doing here as it's so varied.

I warmed up to the module through the semester, as the earlier chapters were such a bore. Now we're doing more interesting stuff like the Video Games thing and others, and also because i have a pretty darn awesome TA (Daniel :) )
He's this first-class honours graduate (2009), waiting to do his Masters i think. He sounds damn pro and i like how he conducts his tutorials, makes the understanding of material much easier. Plus, he's a robot in terms of replying emails too.. very very efficient and he puts in effort to reply emails not like a one sentence reply.

Have had 1 big project, 1 small project, 1 mid term test. Got a total of 14.5/15 combined for the 2 projects (i'm very proud of this for reasons I shall not say on my blog because I will offend people) and 29.5/35 for mid term test.. which isn't very good because I know alot of people who got above 30.

The test was too easy IMHO, when I left the LT i remember thinking 'damn that was too easy'. The MCQ had some ridiculously straightforward questions.. I cant remember exactly but this is an example of how obvious the options would be: (don't look at how easy the question is, that's not the point. The point is how obvious the correct answer is the correct answer)

Q: What is the color of an apple
a) 23
b) red
c) pie
d) eggs

Ya ya some smart alecks will go 'no wait apples can be green' BUT THATS NOT THE POINT the point is from the options, it's too darn obvious what the correct answer is!
Then you'll ask, 'so why you never get 30+ ?'
To which I will respond.. ... ... i dunno :( i suck la k.

I genuinely hope the finals will be tougher (all MCQ -_- ) so that it will separate those who really studied and those who didn't. And of course I hope to fall in the former category... though my exam schedule for NM is alittle screwed as it is one day before Psych ugh.


Yup and that concludes my mid term review. I've another big long post (it may not be long but it will certainly be big) coming up soon, probably on friday or saturday, stay tuned for that :) As for now, my loyal blog reader(s?), take care and eat your veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment