Tuesday 13 December 2016

Honeymoon trip to Germany and Czech!

I just went to Germany + Czech Republic for my honeymoon! We were gone for 11 days. Instead of recapping the entire trip... I thought I'll just recount 3 random points of the trip, and post the photos all on Facebook with captions.

Bavaria has a very weird tradition which led to a memorable experience

Bavaria is a state in Germany, in which the country's capital, Munich, resides.

This is Bavaria
During our trip to Berchtesgaden, a small town in Bavaria, we encountered a super weird tradition. There was some marching procession going on with some guys carrying loud bells, wearing scary looking demon costumes. We read briefly about some festival going on involving this, but didn't know the specifics.

When we were driving through the town, when the vehicle was stationary and we were observing this marching procession, one of the demons WALKED OVER AND OPENED OUR CAR DOOR. He went for my friend who was driving, and smeared his face with black stuff (charcoal? not sure what it was), before going off.

Needless to say we were mildly traumatized because now we know our car door cannot be locked when we are on the inside and if someone tried to rob us that way that could happen. But anyway.

The 'attackers' in the marching procession have some black stuff to smear on people's faces (we saw a few people with black marks on their face but didn't know what it was until the attack), or have a whip/belt that they smack people's legs with.


See above video for sample. The bells are very loud.

This is apparently supposed to scare off demons / evil spirits or whatnot. I think the smearing of the black stuff is unique to this town, because we went to another town and they didn't have the smearing of the black stuff (but still had the demons + whips)

I guess the experience was funny and memorable (because we didn't get smeared haha. our poor friend) but damn, it was scary when it first happened.

And after that, we were hyper vigilant when we heard those clanging bells again... always head in the opposite direction. And when we had to slow down as we passed them, all of us were holding our door handles.. just in case.. lol.



Food is good until it's not

Currywurst from Munich Central Station

I was expecting to enjoy the food in Germany - after all, I do love bratwurst sausages and pork knuckle!

Pork Knuckle from restaurant in Eichstatt, Germany

So I ate...

Pork sausages in a sandwich, @ Christmas Market in Eichstatt, Germany


And ate...

Meatloaf and bacon and sausage. A lot of pigs were harmed in the making of this dish


And ate...


Meat platter, containing pork shoulder, roast pork, and some duck


But after a while it was all the same! If I could summarise German food in 3 words, it would be 'pork, cheese, and bread (or potato)'. About 95% of German food is pork, cheese or bread. Plus it was generally quite salty as compared to Singapore's food. Thus, I was genuinely tired of German food at the end of my short 11-day trip.

When I returned to Singapore, I texted my mom to buy us some 炒饭 for dinner. She then asked 'want me to buy western food instead?' and I replied NO immediately. Give me my Asian food please!


The views were amazing

Many places had fantastic views without much effort (well, thanks to our friend Min Soe who drives). Some required quite abit of walking which I didn't really like... but sometimes it's worth it.




This was near the Willibaldsburg Castle in Eichstatt, Germany, with some upslope climbing for about 20-25 minutes, relatively simple road and not too steep.




Random view from some place near Lake Konigsee, Germany




This was about 15-20 minutes away from the above picture... yea pretty strange that this was snowcovered and the other areas weren't. Ok, I'm going to stop talking and end off this post with some of my favourite views


Could sit there and stare at the mountains forever. Ok I lied about not talking.






This was Prague












No comments:

Post a Comment