Tuesday 10 August 2010

back to school

This is a very long, wordy(and maybe emo) post, so if that's not your thing, just skip it.

The last time I was in school was November 2007, when i took my Physics paper if I'm not wrong. Of course I'm not counting the other times when I returned to school such as to collect results, etc, just the period when I was still studying.

Now, almost 3 years later (2 years 9 months to be exact), I'm about to embark on my studies again. This time it's going to be for FOUR years at one institution, the longest i've been anywhere in the past 4 years. (only 2 years in JC, 2 years in army)

Like all good students should (lol), I have had several goals laid out, some realistic, some not so.

1) Graduate with First Class Honors
Yes yes, stop looking at me with those judgmental eyes. (oh i never knew 'judgmental had no 'e' after g) Of course it is every student's dream to achieve the best results possible right!! Unless you're some extremely under-ambitious person who doesn't hope to succeed in life.

Then again, this is very very optimistic seeing how I'm likely to fail one module in my first sem (FRENCH lol gg) ... i guess I'll set a new target with regards to this goal after my first sem, need to see what kind of CAP i can actually attain in uni.

2) Study 2 extra hours a day (minimum)
With an eye on goal number one, this is the action plan of course. I aim to hit the books at least 2 hours everyday, whether it's just casual reading of the textbook or actual memorization. Actually I may have to tweak this to be abit more because I'm sure there'll be homework and stuff. This is meant to be EXTRA , on top of the regular workload.

3) Make many many friends
This may seem trivial to many people, but it is actually quite big for me.
Those who know me well will know I'm quite an introvert by nature - I don't mind spending hours to end at home playing computer games, and would turn down invitations to go out with friends ; I don't mind wandering around school and studying alone in the library.

I'm just not naturally outgoing or anything. The feeling to interact doesn't come naturally. Like you know, how our feeling of hunger comes naturally when we smell food, or when the feeling of pain comes naturally when we get pricked with a pin. I don't naturally want to go out and interact with people.

However, after evaluating the pathetic state of my social life, I have decided to break this shell and go out and make more friends! rawr. Hence the signing up for camps, hence the quitting of WoW (part of the reason of my quitting was of course Goal #1), hence the change in my mindset.
Also linked to this reason is 3b) - find a girlfriend. hahaha. I mean, after my studies, I'm going to be in the workforce, and assuming I get a common usual job, I'll be seeing the same few people for a long time, not like in Uni when we are constantly interacting with new people. If there's any better time to get attached, it is now! lol. ok matchmake me now kgo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think those are the 3 main goals, yes. You may argue that #2 is actually a subset of #1 but ... who cares. Fine, 2 main goals. Of course there are other minor goals such as keeping fit/getting a nicer bod, getting into Dean's List at least once, etc but i won't list them all.

Now one worrying thing that may kill off ALL THREE goals is - I'm getting hooked on Starcraft2! I'm starting to really enjoy the game and learning the different strategies. And after losing TEN straight games (fml i was at 60% win rate before this, i think now 40% or something) in 1v1 matches , the desire to go learn and read up more and learn more is ever so strong! I must be better!

okok i hope when school starts (on thursday -_- i dont have lessons these 2 days when others have because of the modules i chose) and i get my textbooks I will be more interested in studying and spend more times on my books.


And i just went on a shopping spree earlier! Sheesh I feel so ashamed of myself spent so much money! Broke broke. Well I didn't exactly buy alot of expensive things, just many many average-priced things such as :
- a new pen, pencil, pencil lead, foolscap(history of how 'foolscap' came along) paper, pencil case(all these average price of 2 dollars)
- berms, haversack/bag, (ave $20)
- 6 pairs of ankle socks ($9.90 for 3 which I thought was quite cheap)
- shoes! I've wanted this for really long just never got about to buying it. Finally bought a pair today! $40. It's those white covered shoes that like the whole male population was wearing last year or something? hahaha.

Ok that's really alot of things damn. And i'm still going to spend more on textbooks !! Like my projected spending for textbooks is probably about $200? That's with the estimation of $40 for each module which may turn out to be more. :S

need to save money!! grr. My only source of income now is my tuition which is about 50-60 dollars a week. And I also want to go for exchange in year 3 so.. need to start saving!

Ok wow this post is really long and really random. If you really read every single word.. I salute your determination and am grateful for your interest in my life :p kudos !

and yes, off to playing SC2 =X

No comments:

Post a Comment