Sunday 25 January 2009

chinese new year

yday my mom asked me a deep question, something that doesn't occur very often. She asked "does Chinese New Year have any meaning to you?"

In the past, i used to look forward to CNY because of one thing - the angbaos. i mean, who doesnt? i didn't get alot of allowance, just enough to have my meals, so extra stuff like luxury items, i'll have to eat less and skimp on meals to save up for them. Hence the angbaos are like.. boosters =)
Now? With my $760 monthly pay, although quite meagre, it's still alot more than my allowance in the past ($2 a day , x30 = $60 a month. ) Hence my perspective of money has changed, and i spend alot more.
And given i have little relatives, and none are like tycoons or anything with most being from average or below average backgrounds, the total amount of angbaos i get is only about.. $100++ ?
so my angbao is now 5/38 of my income while in the past it was 5/3. -_-
so i dont really eagerly anticipate the angbaos anymore.


Family-wise.. i'm not very close to my cousins, due to the age difference. On my mom's side, my cousins are at least 4-6 years older than me, with the average being 8 years older. (my bro's 12 years older). how to be close lidat.
On my dad's side.. well i'm not close to my dad's side at all, only see them once a year.
So there's no excitement or eagerness to meet my cousins or aunties or whatsoever.

Festive mood? i'm more of the Western type, i dont really bother much about Chinese stuff. omg i looked at my bestie's China Studies notes.. i wouldnt read it even if you paid me. well maybe i will, depending on how much you're paying. but. you get the point. it's ultra boring!
So CNY doesn't really stir up my festive excitement either.

but but but.
there is one thing i totally love about CNY-

THE HOLIDAY. woot woot. booked out last thurs, so it's friday,sat,sun,mon,tues. 5 whole days of holiday!!! woo!! it's almost equivalent to a block leave or something.

I love this free time when i can just slack at home.. and well ok visit here and there. but mainly slack.


So what does Chinese New Year mean to me? It simply means , a long break =X
So let me stretch my legs and lean back, and enjoy =)

Happy Chinese New Year Eve to all! Enjoy your tuan yuan fan! (reunion dinner)

No comments:

Post a Comment