Sunday 2 March 2014

Two sweet fruits

Imagine this.

In my village, there are some ancient fruits that have been hidden in the temple (e.g. Fruit A and Fruit B). After waiting for 12 years, I've been told that I can finally eat one of them - Fruit A - if I want to. But that would mean I can't eat Fruit B or other Fruits.

I can't see either of them, but I've heard things about them.

I heard Fruit A is the biggest fruit among the fruits of its type. How big exactly I'm not sure yet, though I've heard rumors it's about 4000 cm3. How does it taste? I've no idea, haven't heard much about it.

Fruit B is smaller than Fruit A, maybe about 3300-3500 cm3 in volume, and is it is known to be sweet too. But I can't really describe it, since I haven't actually tasted it nor Fruit A before.

The problem with Fruit A is that it's protected with a very hard shell, inpenetrable by human teeth! I've tried to bite it, and was left with an aching jaw and not much for my effort. If I try to eat it, I may lose my teeth which will make me really sad in the long run!

The large size of Fruit A make me want to ignore this problem of the hard shell. Hey, maybe I'll get used to biting through this hard shell and I won't be that sad. Maybe no teeth is alright? But many other people seem to complain that having no teeth is horrible and really  major source of unhappiness!

Now suddenly the gods-to-be said I can choose Fruit B. This complicates matter a bit. Fruit B is a bit smaller, but does not have the shell. In fact, it's only surrounded by a mildly tough membrane! Easily penetrable.

But wait! A legendary monk from the temple descends upon me, and tells me as much as he could about Fruit A. He described it as sweet too. But what kind of sweet? Chocolate sweet? Sugar sweet? Sour sweet? I have no idea. I haven't tasted it or other fruits before, so I don't know which I will like more!

So do I like Fruit B more than Fruit A? I don't know! I haven't even seen it, much less tasted it. I think I may like both the same. After all, all I want is a nice fruit to eat that will sustain me in the long run.


THEN. Suddenly another legendary monk appears and passes me this tool - a fruit-splitting device. It can split the toughest of shells - including that of Fruit A. Suddenly, I can easily get to eat Fruit A without the inpenetrable shell.

So now what do I do? Should I choose Fruit A or Fruit B?

1 comment: